The culmination of our tour in Las Vegas was the gift to each other for tickets to see the world-reknowned Cirque du Soleil show “O“, in permanent residence at the Bellagio Hotel since October 1998 (grossing over a billion dollars since it began!). I concur with the Los Angeles Times synopsis: “‘O’ is liquid magic …”. The mind-boggling contortionist display of pure fantastical imagination defies any sort of classification or categorization that I could give it. It’s even challenging to find words to describe the soul and beauty of the etherial quality behind the artists display of their incredible talents. The colourful, creative costumes and aerial aquatic displays … oh my! Flying silks whisked across the theatre and stage, creating a magical feel that seemed perfectly natural and unpretentious. I was completely gobsmacked and poised on the edge of my seat throughout the dazzling 2 hour performance. I felt utterly seduced and sucked in to this theatrical world of romanticism and fluidity. The display of sheer imagination felt so serenely real and other-worldly, all centered around a 1.5 million gallon pool / stage that fluxed from zero to 25 feet in depth. It was mind boggling to see the actual stage be a character, just as dynamic and fascinating as the other 11 acts. I’d be supremely privileged to attend another performance of this show …. in a heartbeat, if it weren’t so expensive! But to be honest, it was worth every penny to share in this with slaDE. A MUST see for anyone visiting Vegas!
Wikipedia provides a great outline of those enthralling acts:
O has eleven acts in total, which are performed both in, out, and above of the water.
- Synchronized swimming: A group of synchronized swimmers perform in the pool.
- Duo trapeze: Two aerialists perform on a single trapeze above the water.
- Barge: A unique combination of banquine and adagio is performed on a floating raft on top of the water.
- Bateau: A group of acrobats perform a combination of aerial cradle and parallel bars on a swinging boat-shaped apparatus high above the water.
- Fire: A group of artists perform fire dancing.
- Russian swing: Acrobats propel themselves high into the air with three sets of Russian swings and dive down into the water.
- Cadre: A group of acrobats perform on a suspended frame high above the water in an artificial rain storm.
- High dive: A group of four world-class divers leap from 60 feet above the stage into a 20-foot-deep (6.1 m) triangular section of the pool.
- Washington trapeze: An artist performs on a fixed trapeze that swings in a long pendulum motion and is raised and lowered.
- Contortion: Four young women with extreme balance and flexibility create graceful and lithe figures and movements.
- Aerial hoops: A group of performers perform on hoops attached to the ceiling to perform various tricks both in and above the water.
Acts in rotation
- Solo trapeze: An aerialist performs on a single trapeze high above the water.
Here’s the official O trailer: http://youtu.be/Vm11jzx7Ka0
slaDE and I have seen 3 other Cirque Du Soleil shows, all memorable and amazing experiences. But for me, I think that “O” will be the highlight of my Cirque Du Soleil viewing experiences, thus far! Do you have a favourite Vegas show? Have you ever seen any shows from Cirque Du Soleil? If so, what was your experience like? I’d love for you to share!