We are deliciously full after our first attempt at making Tom Yum Guy, a northern spicy Thai soup. I liked it so much that I’ve included the recipe for you :).
This version of Tom Yum soup is eaten in the North of Thailand and is made with chicken rather than the shrimp (tom yum gung) eaten in the south and coastal areas.
THAI CHICKEN SOUP
500 gms Chicken breast
15 gms Minced Fresh Ginger
2 Garlic Cloves
20 gms Lemongrass (2″ pieces)
4 Kaffir Citrus Leaves, torn
875 ml Coconut Milk (I used the light)
1 cup Chicken stock
2 tablespoons Fish Sauce
3 tablspoons Tamarind Water
1 tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Sambal Olek
1 tablespoon Coriander Leaves
1 cup Straw Mushrooms
1. Put chicken stock and coconut milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Chop the lemon grass into 3cm lengths and add to the pot with the ginger and kaffir leaves, making a soup base.
3. Pound the garlic and add into the soup.
4. Dice the chicken into bite sized pieces, saute in a pan until cooked through and then add to the soup.
5. Cut the straw mushrooms into half and add to the soup.
6. Add the fish sauce, sugar, tamarind juice, lime juice, salt to taste and sambal olek into the soup and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.