Recipe #2 of the Mountain Rose Herbs Recipe Contest
Culinary ~ sKY::s Super Green Superfood Smoothie
Smoothies are a cre8tive force that I tinker with almost every day, and rarely do I duplicate the same ‘recipe’, as I tend to blend whatever I have available.
The quantities in the smoothie can vary depending on how many you will be feeding and how green / sweet you like your smoothies. And if you don’t have some of the ingredients, don’t fret! Mix and match whatever you can that appeals to your sense of taste and adventure.
Vita-Mix Smoothie Ingredients:
- 2 – 5 cups liquid (I tend to use water or Almond Milk) but Juice, Herbal or Green Tea, Soy /Nut Milk and yogurt are options as well
- 1 frozen Banana
- 1 peeled Orange
- 1/2 cup frozen fruit such as Blueberries, Strawberries, Mango, Pineapple
- 2 tablespoons Hemp Powder (or Protein Powder of choice)
- 2 handfuls fresh greens (Spinach, Chard, Kale, etc)
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds (awesome protein source)
- 2 tablespoons Flax Seed
- 2 tablespoons raw Cacao Nibs or 1 tablespoon raw Cacao Powder
- 1 tablespoon of Bee Pollen
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Aloe Vera Juice
- a pinch of cardamon, cinnamon and sea / Himalayan salt
- a splash of vanilla extract
For the adventurous, add:
- a few Dandelion Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Spirulina or Blue Green Algae
- 1 tablespoon of Maca Powder
- 1 teaspoon Açaí powder
- 1 teaspoon hemp and/or coconut oil
Try to source ingredients which are organic and/or as local and fresh as possible.
Blend all ingredients in a highspeed blender (placing solid or frozen ingredients in last – we use the Vita-Mix and LOVE it!).
Secure lid and blend. If necessary, add more liquid to reach the desired consistency. Serve immediately. One super-healthy, super green smoothie.
Experiment with quantities and varieties of fruits and veggies. I suggest that you give yourself permission to be a discerning alchemist. Take notes as you go to what succeeded and what ingredients were not so desirable. Let your taste-buds be your guide. Most of all, have fuN experimenting, and savour the healing and healthy experience of nourishing your body with goodness!
PS If you are interested in learning more about raw foods and where to find the Superfoods I live by, shoot me an email and I can forward you more information! Mountain Rose Herbs is a good place to start but I have other sources as well, and if interested in a Vita-Mix, you can get free standard shipping through me (anywhere in North America) and save :)!